People Watching in Portofino, local museums, small nearby towns that will charm you ... let our Day Designer help you design a great day.
1 | PORTOVENERE
A spectacular boat ride to a must-see seaside town where poet George Gordon Byron drew inspiration and meditation for his literary works and
- the white and black striped Gothic Church of St. Peter, consecrated in 1198 built over a pre-existing 5th century Palaeo-Christian Church;
- the Romanesque Church of St. Lawrence, erected in 1098 by the Genoese. It probably occupies the site of ancient temple dedicated to Jupiter;
- the Doria Castle with the walls around the lovely historic centre.
On August 17th they celebrate the Madonna Bianca, people in the streets perfom a suggestive procession during which small candles are float off into the sea.
2 | PORTOFINO...YESSS, PEOPLE WATCHING
Off the beaten track: Tessiture Cordani, silk velvet weavers and a great view of Portofino from their store.
3 | CHIAVARI
A lovely stroll in a classically elegant Riviera town, also famous for Chiavari chairs, which you can admire at La Sosta, and are still hand made by artisans in Chiavari.
- LEVAGGI FAMILY: original Chiavari Chairs artisans
- DE MARTINY FAMILY: in Lorsica for silk damask made on original wooden weaves
- CICAGNA: some say that Christopher Columbus was born here ... there is certainly his statue!
AND WHAT ABOUT…
4 | GENOVA LA SUPERBA, ZENA IN DIALECT
Jeans: indigo blu linen cloth - the ancestor of jeans – on which elaborate religious scenes dated 1538 have been painted.
To be admired in Genova’s Museo Diocesano.
5 | LUCCA | PISA
less well known Italian cultural gems, all roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes away from La Sosta, by car or train.
6 | MASSA CARRARA
The marble quarries: al lunar landscape and a great day out www.turismomassacarrara.it/en/discover/marble/default.aspx
7 | SMALL & SPECIAL
PIETRASANTA | SARZANA | PONTREMOLI
Pietrasanta for sculptures, Sarzana for antiques and Pontremoli for “Steli Satues”.
MARIA CANDIDA GENTILE PERFUMERY - SARZANA:
The only maître perfumer in Italy is a lady living in Sarzana, Maria Candida Gentile.
In Sarzana you can visit her atelier and her wonderful collection.
GEMMI COFFEE AND PATISSERIE - SARZANA:
Gemmi historical Coffee store and Patisserie for an authentic “spongata”.
THE MEDIEVAL CASTLE - PONTREMOLI:
the medieval Castle and the collection of numerous Stele Statues dating back to between IV millennium b.C. and VII-VI century b.C. Also good for a rainy day.
8 | RAINY DAYS
Chiavari, Lucca, Pisa, Genova’s Palazzi in Via Garibaldi, Genova Naval Museum, Pontremoli Castle and Museum, La Spezia Castle & Museum, La Spezia Naval Museum, La Spezia Lia Museum.